Friday 22 February 2008

Animal Adventures

It's hard to know where to begin with today's adventures. Do I start with the Great Escape? The Comedy of Errors? The Near Death Experience? or perhaps the Tale of a Curious Pup?For simplicity, let's try chronologically.

This morning I figure it was time to put Jessie, the Dewar's donkey who I have here to treat for thrush, out for some exercise. She has been in a large pen in the barn keeping her feet clean and dry but she does need to get out and it was a beautiful crisp, sunny winter's day. But where to put her? It seemed the cattle were a good option as she is used to cattle, so in she goes with Buttercup and Stewie. But no, that wasn't going to work. She kept charging at them and trying to kick Buttercup in the head. So, if she is that fiesty, let's try the horses. Miz, however, has other ideas. She's not going to let some long eared interloper into her territory. And Touche and DT are not helping matters, chasing the poor little thing, just curious, but Jessie doesn't know that. I finally settle on putting her in the orchard, where one lone hen who has wandered out into the snow was neither a threat nor an object to be bullied.

With that settled and all the animals fed and cleaned out, I am able to go into the house to enjoy my porridge for breakfast. Not for long though. I happen to glance out the window and am a little surprised to see a small black steer wandering through the Mundles' field next door. Seconds later, a little black cow scampers by. How did they get out? I think. Interestingly, neither of them seem overly comfortable with their new-found freedom and they are quite relieved when I shake a bucket of grain and call them back. Millhouse, the great big shepherd pup that we are fostering, tries to help until I put him back in the house. Eventually I convince the 2 runaways to return to their pasture. A quick investigation finds that an improperly fastened gate is the catalyst for the adventure.

The middle of the day passes peacefully enough. I head out to feed the animals early as we are expecting a couple of little foster kids for the weekend, due to arrive around 3 pm. I figure I'd get everything done that I could before they arrive. All is going well until I decide to give the horses some kelp powder. Miz loves kelp. I put a couple of cupfuls into one of the feeders and go on with the chores. I am about to go inside when I notice Miz acting strangely. She appears to be choking, attempting to vomit, getting down on the ground and rolling. Colic, I think. Quick, call the vet and get back out there and get her walking. Horses are strange creatures and when their bellies hurt they get down and roll and often get a twisted bowel, which, as far as I know, means they will die. It is one illness that all horse owners dread. The idea is to keep the horse walking so she won't go down before the vet arrives with medication. I take her out of the field and begin pacing circles around the driveway. Millhouse figures he can help too, and follows behind her, occasionally barking.

Susan, the vet, arrives in record time. She begins examining Miz, who, although looking pretty miserable, does not take kindly to all the poking and prodding. Millhouse still thinks he can be of assistance, but only manages to get himself stepped on. Yelping, he hobbles off with one paw flopping in a most worrying manner. He's gone and gotten a broken leg, I think, with only 3 more days until he goes to his new home! I have a look and although he is in pain, nothing appears to be broken. Susan will look at him later, after she saves the horse.

Susan suggests that Miz needs to be sedated for further treatment- not being the kind of horse that tolerates people poking at her, so we should move her into our one box stall. The box stall, however, is full of Nigerian Dwarf goats and their climbing toys. Quickly, I clip lead ropes on the 4 little darlings and drag them out to the cow barn and push them inside. I clear out all the steps, tables and planks that clutter the stall, and then it is ready for the horse. We bring Miz in, inject her with a sedative, and she is just getting droopy when I hear a vehicle come in, followed by the sound of a child crying. Wonderful timing, I think. Here are the kiddies and I'm standing here holding a sick, drugged horse. I rush out and speak to the social worker. Just in with a sick horse, I say. Won't be a minute!

15 minutes later, I ask Susan if she minds if I go check on the situation outside. There is the poor harried social worker with a howling toddler in each arm. Clearly, she is getting fed up. I rush into the house and phone my mother. Please can you help? Good old Mum to the rescue. Where is Louise anyway? I proceed to unload the van of all the accouterments that children seem to need and show the social worker, whose name I haven't even asked, where the toilet is as little Elizabeth needs a pee. Mum arrives. The social worker makes a quick escape from all the madness. I wonder what she will report to her superiors. May be the last foster kids we ever see! Back to the barn, where Susan is busy stuffing a tube up Miz's nose. Miz, even in her drugged stupor, is not impressed. Finally, the tube is in the right place and Susan is able to flush out the obstruction and administer some anti-gas in case of colic. We are nearly finished when Louise arrives. She clues in that there is a problem with Miz when she sees the vet's truck and only 2 horses in the field, and rushes into the barn worried that the miserable creature is on death's door.

I leave Louise to the horse and vet and go into to rescue Mum who I figure won't be coping too well with 2 unhappy children. I was right. I change diapers, wipe noses, remove jackets and find toys. Susan comes in with Louise, checks out Millhouse's paw, and gives him an anti-inflammatory to stop it from swelling. We find food for the kids, send Mum home and crack open a much needed beer. Another day at the Round House Farm.

No comments: